Among hackers the DPS-1200FB seem to be the most popular choice for a powerfull Server PowerSupply 12volt 100Amp for less than $20 delivered.
There is a lot of information available for this PSU. So if you want to really get into controlling and monitoring the power-supply you should probably go for this one. I have collected these links to projects and information about the DPS-1200-FB.
- tech manual for similar 1100w PSU by Arrtesyn ds1100ped-3
- Teardown: HP DPS-1200FB 12V 100A PSU
- INCREASING VOLTAGE SERVER SWITCHED POWER SUPPLY
- DPS-1200FB Server Power Supply Fan Control with Arduino
- 1U Front End AC-DC Power Supply
- Hacking HP Common Slot Power supplies – 12V@100A
- Building an extremely high powered 1-12V lab power supply on the cheap
There is an i2c bus connection on these Server PSU used for PMBus, or som proprarity version of it, so lets see what that is all about
- Monitoring and Optimizing AC/DC Power Supply Performance for Different Applications Using PMBusTM
- ACAN-51; PMBus CommunicationProtocol
- ACAN-53: PMBus™ Communication Protocol
- Results of reverse-engineering the PIC microcontroller in the HP DPS-1200FB power supply (made by Delta)
These powersupplies does NOT have a 80-plus-gold sticker, so they might be a little less efficient than the DPS-750TB that I normally use, or maybe HP just didn’t want to pay the extra cent to get the sticker – I might do power comparison some time in the future.